Minutes April 2018


Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 3rd April 2018 at 7.45pm in Yarpole Parish Hall.

Present: Cllr Audrey Bott, Cllr Linda Middleton, Cllr Diane Russell, Cllr Duncan Grant, Cllr Barbara Nurse, Cllr Julian Stokes, Cllr Geoff Trotter, County Cllr. Sebastian Bowen, PC Gareth Maddox, Parish Clerk Ms E Lewis.
3 members of the public were present (agenda items 1 to 9.4 inclusive)

1. Apologies for absence. Apologies were received from Cllr Harold Holder and Cllr Michael Denny.
2. Declarations of interest and written requests for dispensation. The Clerk made a disclosure of pecuniary interest in part of item 8.1 and signed the book accordingly. It was agreed she could stay in the room for the discussion.
3. Public Participation
3.1 Report from Ward Councillor: Herefordshire Council conservation officer has visited Knoll Cottage with a structural engineer. A report detailing the work required to make the building safe will be produced with a view to issuing an urgent works notice. There will be a Herefordshire Council scrutiny panel review of museums, libraries and archives with the possibility of these services being run by a trust on behalf of Herefordshire Council. The Home Secretary has given permission for the Police and Crime Commissioner to take over the fire service, although this decision may be taken to judicial review.
3.2 Report from West Mercia Police: There were no crimes to report, although residents were aware that a van had been broken into in Yarpole. The police will check this has been reported and logged in the system. The appointment of a new PCSO for the area is expected shortly.
3.3 Views of local residents on Parish matters: The residents present wished to speak to items 6.3 (Bell Inn) and 9.3 (Community Land Trust) the minutes of which are recorded in numerical order.
4. Minutes of Parish Council meeting held on 6th March 2018: The minutes were agreed and signed as a correct record after the amendment of the details of the cheque for the PCC (Item 5.2, p4) changed from cemetery to burial ground.
5. Finance:
5.1 Financial statement: The financial statement was agreed. The current account has a balance of £21,093.16 and the Business Reserve £15,032.85.
5.2 Cheques: Cheques were signed as follows: HALC 2018/19 affiliation fee £522.54, Village Hall £22.75, Clerk March wages £350.09, Clerk mileage £35.10.
5.3 Purchase of grit bin at Lucton: The purchase of two grit bins was agreed up to a budget of £200 (Excl VAT). A 25kg bag of grit will cost £5 and the Parish council will need to pay for filling and refilling the bins. (Action EL)
6. Planning:
6.1 180683 – Hillcroft, Lucton Lane – conversion of structure to holiday let: It was agreed the Parish Council had no comment to make on the application.
6.2 181006 – Croft Cottage, Lucton Lane – proposed extension and modifications: It was agreed the Parish Council had no comment to make on the application.

6.3 Bell Inn Yarpole (Asset of Community Value): In order to trigger the full moratorium on the sale of the pub, the Parish Council agreed to register an interest in bidding for the Bell Inn, proposed by Cllr Nurse, seconded by Cllr Stokes and agreed unanimously. This allows an eligible community group until the 28th August 2018 to submit a full bid for the pub. The emerging Community Land Trust will be working to develop a bid for the pub, and the Parish Council registering an intention to bid is simply as a mechanism to trigger this moratorium to allow the group time to formalise their arrangements and bid for the pub. The Parish Council has no defined power to buy a pub and no intention of submitting a bid for the pub.
6.4 Update on current planning applications/matters: There is still no news on the planning application for 10 houses in Lucton.
7. Neighbourhood Development Plan referendum leaflet: The referendum on adoption of the NDP has been confirmed for Thursday 10th May 2018 at the village hall. The printing of an A5 colour leaflet advertising the referendum to be inserted into the Parishioner magazine at a cost of £69.00 was agreed (£49.00 for 350 copies and £20 to insert in to the magazine). The format of the leaflet was discussed and noted that the advice received from Herefordshire Council was that the Parish Council needed to remain neutral in all communications regarding the referendum. It was agreed that the leaflet should simply state the date and time of the referendum, details of what the question on the ballot paper will be and urging people to remember to vote. The Clerk will draft the leaflet and send to the printers. (Action EL)
8. Information, Consultation and Response
8.1 Data Protection Act: An update and action plan had been circulated prior to the meeting. This details the policies and paperwork the Parish Council will need to have in place to comply with the new General Data Protection Act which comes into force on May 25th 2018. This includes the requirement to appoint an external person/body to act as the Data Protection Officer for the Parish Council. The action plan was agreed as was the payment of 5 additional hours for the Clerk to undertake the required work in each of April and May.
8.2 Lucton Speed Limit Review: A revised briefing note from the group carrying out the investigation into the speed limit review in Lucton had been circulated prior to the meeting. The Parish Council agreed they were very disappointed that the review suggests no change to the existing speed limit on the B4362 by Lucton School or on the road into Lucton village. The review suggests that a reduction from 50mph to 40mph would not be appropriate without accompanying traffic engineering measures. The Parish Council has agreed to locate two SID bases in the area and has allocated £13,000 in the reserves plan for traffic calming throughout the parish, some of which could be used for a scheme in association with a speed limit reduction. Lucton School do not appear to be on the list of consultees, which given the exposure of their children, staff and parents to traffic on the B4362 seems an oversight. The Clerk will respond to the briefing note accordingly. (Action EL)
8.3 Aymestrey Neighbourhood Development Plan Regulation 14 consultation: It was agreed the Parish Council had no feedback on the draft NDP for Aymestrey.
9. Updates and action
9.1 Lucton & Bircher Matters: BBLP have indicated that the locations suggested for the SID bases are not appropriate and the Clerk will arrange a meeting with the traffic engineer to determine suitable locations. The lack of kerbs in Bircher is still an issue and Councillor Bowen will discuss this with BBLP. Siting signs for St Peter’s Square on posts in the ground will have implications in terms of work to ensure there are no services situated in the location, so it was agreed that one sign would be put on the wall with an arrow indicating the road. The Clerk will work within the £500 budget agreed at the March meeting to purchase a sign and get this installed. (Action EL)
9.2 Parish Hall: There were no matters to report.

9.3 Community Land Trust group: The group has successfully applied for some start-up costs and consultancy support for their plans. They are putting an application in to Herefordshire Council Community Housing Fund for finance to support work on the project, such as updating the housing needs survey. The aim is that an incorporated body such as a Community Land Trust will be established within 6-7 months.
9.4 Parking at church: The problems of cars parking and blocking the road near the church have been raised by parishioners, with cars parked illegally at the junction being a particular problem. It was clarified that if vehicles are blocking the road such that other vehicles cannot get past, the police can be called. The possibility of some angled parking spaces being placed where the road is wide enough to allow these was raised. It was agreed that the Clerk will contact BBLP to see what can be done to alleviate the problems. (Action EL)
9.5 Parish Council vacancy: The notice of the vacancy has been issued, and if there has been no call for election by 11th April then the Parish Council can look to co-opt a new councillor.
10. Parish Annual Meeting: It was agreed not to invite a guest speaker to the meeting and to follow the usual format. The meeting will start at 7.00pm and be held in the main village hall.
11. Items for next agenda: Mobile signal and footpath by the church.
12. Date of Next meetings: Tuesday 1st May, 7.00pm (Parish Annual Meeting and then Parish Council annual meeting at 7.30pm)
Tuesday 5th June 2018, 7.30pm