Minutes 5th March 2019

YARPOLE GROUP PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting held on 5th March 2019 in Yarpole Parish Hall.

Present: Cllr Audrey Bott, Cllr Geoff Trotter, Cllr Linda Middleton, Cllr Harold Holder, Cllr Michael Denny, Cllr Andrew Daniels, Cllr Ian Salmon, Cllr Duncan Grant, Cllr Sebastian Bowen, Parish Clerk Ms E Lewis.

No members of the public were present.

1. Apologies for absence. Apologies were received from Cllr Diane Russell, Cllr Barbara Nurse and PCSO Steph Harper.
2. Declarations of interest and written requests for dispensation: Cllr Holder made a declaration of pecuniary interest in item 6.6 and signed the book accordingly. It was agreed that he would leave the room during discussion of the item.
3. Public Participation
3.1 Report from Ward Councillor: The scrutiny committee will be considering the final draft of the report following the pothole and public realm consultation on the 7th March. A peer review of Herefordshire Council has been carried out, one of the suggestions from this is that the county council look to work more closely with parish councils.
3.2 Report from West Mercia Police: No report had been received
3.3 Views of local residents on Parish matters: No local residents were present.
4. Minutes of Parish Council meeting held on 5th February 2019: The minutes were agreed and signed as a correct record.
5. Finance
5.1 Financial statement to date: The financial statement was agreed. The current account has a balance of £27,266.74 and the Business Reserve has a balance of £15,047.34.
5.2 Cheques: Cheques were signed as follows: Herefordshire Council (PROW) £1044.00, Village Hall £7.00, BBLP (SID installation) £1020.00, Clerk wages £507.94, HMRC (tax) £47.40 and Village hall £14.00. It was also agreed that a cheque be signed for £1884.00 for HiTrees (lengthsman); this takes the lengthsman costs for 2018/19 £475 over budget, but reduced costs elsewhere balance these increased costs.
5.3 Limit on contribution to burial ground upkeep in Yarpole and Lucton: It was agreed that the limit on the contribution to the burial grounds (at 100% of burial ground maintenance costs in Lucton and 75% of Yarpole) would be the figure allocated in the annual PC budget. (For 2019/20 there is £1,500.00 maximum available.)
6. Planning
6.1 184685 Farcroft Lucton: The Parish Council agreed they supported the application.
6.2 182828 Barn House, Brook Lane (amended application): The Parish Council agreed they had no comment to make on the application.
6.3 190155 Brookhouse Farm, Brook Lane: The Parish council agreed they supported the application.
6.4 184118 9 Croft Crescent (additional information): The Parish Council agreed they wished to offer a qualified comment on the amendments: they welcomed the information on how the applicants will address concerns over pedestrian and vehicle safety on the new exit but would be happier with the ridge height of the garage being reduced to ensure the garage is subservient to the main dwelling.
6.5 190147 Berwick House, Mortimer’s Cross: The Parish Council agreed they had no comment on the application.

Cllr Holder Left the room.
6.6 190467 Stocken Farm, Lucton: The Parish council agreed they supported the application.
Cllr Holder re-joined the meeting.
6.7 Update on current planning applications/matters: It was noted that application 183892 to remove hedgerows at Maunds House Yarpole had been refused and a hedgerow retention notice issued.
7. Yarpole Community Field
7.1 Transfer of the community land and draft contract: The draft contract for the transfer of the community field from the Woodfields had been received from their solicitors. The Woodfields are asking that the Parish Council cover their legal costs in the transfer of the land and reimburse them for costs of the fencing installed on part of the boundary of the field (£2545.70 excl VAT). The Parish Council agreed in principle to accept the transfer of the land on this basis, and move forward to instruct a solicitor to act on their behalf in the land transfer. The motion was Proposed by Cllr Denny, seconded by Cllr Holder and carried unanimously.
7.2 Appointment of solicitor to act on behalf of the Parish Council: The Clerk had obtained quotes from three firms (Lloyd Cooper, TA Matthews and Norris and Miles) for work on the land transfer and this information had been circulated prior to the meeting. Following discussion, it was agreed to appoint Lucy Rea from Lloyds Cooper to act on the Parish Council’s behalf; the Clerk will contact her to instruct her in the matter.
8. Information, Consultation and Response
8.1 Village Hall Plans: It was agreed that the Parish Council supported the plans as outlined at the February meeting.
8.2 2019 Elections : The paper on key dates for the 2019 parish and ward elections, which had been circulated prior to the meeting, was noted.
9. Updates and action
9.1 Lucton & Bircher Matters: Cllr Bowen has asked BBLP to clear the cattle grid at the top of Leys Lane and has asked for verge markers to be installed on the B4362 by Home Farm in Bircher. The diseased tree in Lucton has now been removed. The road flooding in Lucton is getting worse and Cllr Bowen is working with the BBLP locality steward to investigate ways to resolve the issue.
9.2 Parish Hall: There were no matters to report.
9.3 PROW and Lengthsman: The footpath officer, Peter Greer, and his team had drafted a PROW plan for 2019/20 which had been circulated prior to the meeting. The budget for 2019/20 is £4,500.00. The plan was agreed and thanks were extended to the team for all the work they do. It was agreed to ask the Footpath Officer to get quotes for a petrol hedge trimmer for the Parish Council to consider. It was noted that there will be a slight increase to the costs from Kevin Davies for mowing for 2019/20 of £35 and that this is within the agreed budget.
9.4 Traffic Calming: The Speed Indicator Device bases are due to be installed by BBLP in Bircher during the week of the 29th April 2019. The Clerk will be meeting the BBLP engineer to confirm location of bases. BBLP have received the commissioning form for the additional speed signs in Bircher and will invoice the Parish Council for the work once the form has been processed.
9.5 Mobile signal in Yarpole and Lucton: The Clerk and Cllrs Bott and Middleton had met with Aled Rees from BT on the 7th February to discuss progress on improving the mobile signal in Yarpole. BT recognise that there a rural pockets of very poor mobile signal where installing a new tower (at £150,000 plus) will not be the solution. They are trialling smaller scale/cost solutions, such as “small cells”, (which are attached to church spires, telegraph poles to focus signal in a small area) and Aled is going to investigate whether Yarpole can be used as one of the trial sites. Following the meeting, the Clerk had emailed both the Leader of Herefordshire Council and the local MP to ask for their support in progressing the matter. In the meantime, mobile booster boxes that can be used in the house to improve mobile signal are available for residents.
10. Items for next agenda:  A letter had been received from residents concerned about placement of speed signs on Green Lane near Meadowcroft and Ivydene and the speed limit on the road; this will be on the agenda for the next meeting.
11. Date of Next meetings:  Tuesday 2nd April 2019, 7.45pm,  Tuesday 7th May 2019, 7.45pm