YARPOLE GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the extraordinary meeting held on Monday 16th July 2018 at 7.30pm in Yarpole Parish Hall.
Present: Cllr Audrey Bott, Cllr Duncan Grant, Cllr Harold Holder, Cllr Barbara Nurse, Cll Andrew Daniels, Cllr Diane Russell, Cllr Michael Denny, County Cllr, Sebastian Bowen, Parish Clerk Ms E Lewis.
1. Apologies for absence: Apologies were received from Linda Middleton and Geoff Trotter.
2. Declarations of interest: No declarations were made.
3. Public Participation
3.1 Views of local residents on Parish matters: No members of the public were present.
4.1 182425 Lucton Court – proposed hedgerow removal: This item was considered with item 4.2 and it was agreed that the Parish Council wished to strongly object to both applications, for which it can see no compelling reason. All hedgerows detailed in the application are over 30 years old and therefore worthy of protection under the 1997 Hedgerow Regulation Act. Neither application indicates whether the hedgerows contain protected species, endangered species or woody species and associated features which would afford additional protection – local knowledge suggests it is likely that they would, which would afford the hedgerows additional protection under the legislation. The adopted Neighbourhood Development Plan makes reference to hedgerows in 7.8 stating that “Hedgerows that support the historic pattern of the particular village setting and development shall not be removed.” Whilst policy YG13h states that any development proposals should “retain important natural habitats and features such as…hedgerows.” These planning applications contravene the wishes of the parish expressed in the NDP to protect the natural environment throughout the parish, in particular hedgerows, and should be refused.
It was noted that the Parish Council has had feedback from residents that hedgerows in the area of the applications have already had sections removed over the past few years, and it was agreed the Clerk would contact Herefordshire Council to ask how the hedgerows in the area can be better protected and this protection enforced. Particular concerns have been raised about hedgerows on the edge of field 0347 on the outskirts of Yarpole, where trees and hedgerows have been removed adjacent to the brook. This area has been prone to flooding in past years, and the removal of shrubs and trees will only increase the risk of the stream flooding. The clerk will ask whether the area can be inspected and, if hedgerows have been removed without appropriate permission, the reinstatement of the hedgerows by the landowner be enforced by Herefordshire Council. (Action EL)
4.2 182417Brookhouse Farm – proposed hedgerow removal: see minute 4.1.
5. 498 Bus Route: The Clerk had contacted the Head of Passenger Transport at Herefordshire Council to discuss the route. The 498 route is being put out to tender with other bus routes and Herefordshire Council are hopeful that this will achieve sufficient cost savings to enable the route to continue, but contributions from Parish Councils would be welcome to support this. It was agreed to offer a contribution of £500 to support the continuation of the route.
6. Items for next agenda: Footpath officer job share and need for volunteer to cover Lucton.
7. Date of Next meetings: Tuesday 4th September 2018, 7.45pm, Tuesday 2nd October 2018, 7.45pm