Minutes November 2017

YARPOLE GROUP PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 7th November 2017 at 7.45pm in Yarpole Parish Hall.

Present: Cllr Audrey Bott, Cllr Diane Russell, Cllr Duncan Grant, Cllr Michael Denny, Cllr Barbara Nurse, County Cllr. Sebastian Bowen, Parish Clerk Ms E Lewis.
5 parishioners were present.

1. Apologies for absence. Apologies were received from Cllr Holder, Cllr Bayliss, Cllr Niblett and Cllr Middleton.
2. Declarations of interest and written requests for dispensation. No declarations were made.
3. Public Participation
3.1 Report from Ward Councillor: Herefordshire Council received a report on education in the county. Primary schools are performing above the national average, with the majority of schools being rated good or outstanding by OFSTED; there are still some issues with the performance of a few secondary school in the county which are being addressed. Herefordshire Council have been asked to be the accountable body for the new university and there will be a scrutiny panel review of the proposal.
3.2 Report from West Mercia Police: No report had been received.
3.3 Views of local residents on Parish matters: Two parishioners were present to discuss traffic issues covered under agenda item 7 and other parishioners wished to discuss the status of the NDP in relation to planning applications, which was covered under agenda items 11.2 and 6.1.
4. Minutes of ordinary Parish Council meeting held on 3rd October 2017 and extraordinary meeting held on 17th October 2017: The minutes for both meetings were agreed and signed as a true record.
5. Finance:
5.1 Financial statement to date: The financial statement was agreed. The current account has a balance of £24,973.14 and the Business Reserve account has a balance of £15,030.34.
5.2 Cheques: Cheques were signed as follows Hi Trees (lengthsman) £678, Clerk (mileage) £ 48.60, Clerk (October wages and additional hours for website) £450.99.
5.3 Date for Finance working group (initial precept setting): It was agreed the Clerk would liaise with the Chair and Vice-Chair to set a date and then inform other councillors accordingly. The budget will come to the December Parish Council meeting for approval.
6. Planning:
6.1 Update on Application 171291 for 10 houses in Lucton: There has been no decision as yet on the planning application. The landowner has put a challenge into the NDP on the settlement boundary in Lucton, but the Clerk has confirmed that as the NDP is past its regulation 16 consultation it will hold some weight in the planning decision. Councillor Bowen has spoken to the traffic officer about traffic issues in Lucton. It is likely the application will go before the planning committee.
7. Traffic Calming in Parish
7.1 Response to Lucton speed limit review: It was agreed that the Parish Council fully supports the proposal to reduce the speed limit in this area on the B4362 and U92404. This issue has been discussed at previous Parish Council meetings, and parishioners have long been concerned that a speed limit of 50mph in the vicinity of a school is entirely inappropriate. It is hoped that the speed limit will be reduced as a result of the review so that the safety of children and staff of Lucton school and local residents is better protected. The Clerk will respond to the review accordingly.

7.2 Potential traffic calming measures for Bircher: A list of potential traffic calming measures and costs (provided by Balfour Beatty) had been circulated prior to the meeting. It was agreed that the possibility of the Parish Council funding the installation and hire of some Speed Indicator Devices (SID) around the Parish will be investigated as part of the 2018/19 budget planning. It was also agreed that a meeting be arranged with Ray Wallace and Michael Brookes (from BBLP) to discuss options for a traffic calming scheme in Bircher.
8. Yarpole Educational Trust: It was agreed that Harold Holder would be the Parish Council representative on the education trust.
9. Parish Council Safeguarding Statement: The safeguarding statement was agreed. It was also agreed that the information on how to report concerns and the safeguarding board in Herefordshire should be included in the statement.
10. Information Consultation and Response
10.1 Data Protection Briefing: The briefing on the implications of the new General Data Protection regulations, which had been circulated prior to the meeting, was noted. The regulations will be in place in Spring 2018 and will require the Parish Council to appoint a Data Protection Officer. Once the regulations are in place, and standard Parish Council forms and policies have been issued, the Clerk will update the council, undertake an audit of data held by the council and update policies accordingly.
11. To receive updates and agree action on:
11.1 Casual Vacancy for Parish Councillor: Julian Stokes introduced himself to the Parish Council and after a brief discussion it was agreed to co-opt him to fill the vacancy on the Parish Council.
11.2 Neighbourhood Development Plan: The examination process started at the end of October. The examiner has been forwarding queries/points of clarification for both Herefordshire Council and the Parish Council to address and the Clerk provided a brief update on these. It was queried whether a list of the queries could be made available on the website and the Clerk will check into this. (Post meeting note – the Clerk has checked with the examiner and neighbourhood planning team and they have indicated that this information will be included in the examiner’s report and asked that it not be published until the full examiner’s report is published.)
11.3 Lengthsman Scheme: The path behind the Bell pub has been cleared by the lengthsman.
11.4 Lucton & Bircher Matters: The visibility of speed signs on the B4362 by Lucton was raised as a concern; the Clerk will confirm whether the lengthsman can work on this road and, if not, Herefordshire Council will be asked to cut back the hedgerow obscuring the signs. A parishioner has raised the hazard caused by leaves on the road in Lucton and Councillor Bowen will confirm whether this issue should be addressed by Herefordshire Council or the lengthsman. There was an issue with a fire hydrant in Bircher which Welsh water have dealt with.
11.5 Parish Hall : There was no news to report on the Parish Hall.
11.6 Parish Council website: The new website has now been launched. A banner photo is still required for the home page of the site.
12. Items for next agenda: It was agreed that an update on current planning applications in the Parish be included as a standing agenda item.
13. Date of Next meetings: Tuesday 5th December, 7.45pm
Tuesday 6th February 2018, 7.45pm